Of course its better to see a Live a sculpture or painting like The Birth of Venus on Florence, some Van Gogh or Rembrandt on Amsterdam or New York, but Google is making the Museum traveling a little easier to all with an excellent culture promotion project like the Google Art Project.
See what is this about !
First of all.. What is the Google Art Project?!
Watch this introduction preview about this amazing Google new stuff:
The Google Art Project is a unique collaboration with some of the world’s most acclaimed art museums to enable people to discover and view more than a thousand artworks online in extraordinary detail.
- Explore museums with Street View technology: virtually move around the museum’s galleries, selecting works of art that interest you, navigate though interactive floor plans and learn more about the museum and you explore. (For those that doesn’t know what Street View is, get more information at the end of the post.)
- Artwork View: discover featured artworks at high-resolution and use the custom viewer to zoom into paintings. Expanding the info panel allows you to read more about an artwork, find more works by that artist and watch related YouTube videos.
- Create your own collection: the ‘Create an Artwork Collection’ feature allows you to save specific views of any of the 1000+ artworks and build your own personalised collection. Comments can be added to each painting and the whole collection can then be shared with friends and family.
We have taken a visit around this great project and its so simple, just visit [http://www.googleartproject.com], choose a museum and start the trip!!
The project has been launched on 1 February of this year (really fresh actually).We found that not all the paintings of the museums are available at this point, the ones that you can see and zoom in are marked with a + sign. And of course are the most important ones. All the museums have at least 30 paintings available with the full information about it and the super-duper zoom in (over 12 gigapixel ! yeah you read it right GIGA not Mega pixels).
The rest of the paintings and features captured with Street View that are blurred, were required to be that way by the museums for reasons pertaining to copyrights.The resolution of the paintings that are available is something marvellous and incredible, we recommends to take a look at the Birth of Venus of Botticelli at the Uffizi Gallery. This is a screenshot of the maximum zoom of the painting on the eye of Venus:
Really impressive don’t you think ?! We doo !! as you can see on the right hand of the picture, it has some information about the painting, in what gallery it is, information about the author and cool stuff like that!
This is a YouTube video showing how this project works:
Now.. do you want to know how it was done ?! watch this !
The downside that we see about this is the copyright and piracy of people to get Hi-Res paintings and make digital copies of them. That is something that Google surely will have to manage in the future if this project keep growing.
For now the following museums are included in the project:
- Alte Nationalgalerie, Berlin – Germany
- Freer Gallery of Art, Smithsonian, Washington DC – USA
- The Frick Collection, NYC – USA
- Gemäldegalerie, Berlin – Germany
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYC – USA
- MoMA, The Museum of Modern Art, NYC – USA
- Museo Reina Sofia, Madrid – Spain
- Museo Thyssen – Bornemisza, Madrid – Spain
- Museum Kampa, Prague – Czech Republic
- National Gallery, London – UK
- Palace of Versailles – France
- Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam – The Netherlands
- The State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg – Russia
- State Tretyakov Gallery, Moscow – Russia
- Tate Britain, London – UK
- Uffizi Gallery, Florence – Italy
- Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam – The Netherlands
Maybe in the future they will merge this with Google Earth (surely they will) and when you go to any of the museums listed, you will get inside it and make the virtual visit around it as it is on the website, Or if you search for a painting on the google earth search bar, you will get directly to the museum where it is exhibit, actually that is already working quite good, go and try it!.
We hope that this project grows strong, because is a really cool technologic approach to art and specially to catch young people to visit the real museum, this is a very good way to gain more publicity to a different target that maybe are not very encourage to art.
- For more information about Street View visit [Street View website]
To visit the Google Art Project go to [Google Art Project website]
The youtube.com gallery is on [Google Art Project youtube]
For the wikipedia page info go to [Google Art Project wikipedia website]